Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Again?

It's Wednesday. Two weeks after my open heart surgery and I'm back in the Beth Israel hospital.  Sound familiar?
Last August I returned here a couple of days after discharge for complications from surgery.  The only difference this time is it took a couple of weeks.
I was awakened at 1:40 this morning with a very unsettling, rapid heart rate that forced me to wake Linda and call the cardiac team. They told us to get to the ER here. The diagnosis was/is atrial fibrillation. My rate when I arrived was touching 180 beats per minute (which I believe is similar to a parakeet's hear rate) and is still running in the low one hundreds as I type this.
For those who haven't had the sensation of their heart going into fibrillation, imagine you have two squirrels in your chest fighting over an acorn.  I cannot use the word "pain" but "severe discomfort with a side of fear" seems to describe it.
They tell me that more than half of all heart patients experience Afib after surgery and that they can, and will, control it. But the discouragement right now is quite strong.
Once again I am forced to be calm and find patience somewhere inside of me.
I would ask all who read this, if it's not to much to ask, to say a prayer. Pray for a turn around on the heart rate and a normal rhythm. Please also remember Linda, she remains calm in the midst of this storm, but I know it is taking a toll on her.
Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers.

No comments: